Order of Civil Merit, Grand Cross Set
Order of Civil Merit, 4th model (with royal crown), Grand Cross Set, consisting of: The badge, which is made of gilded silver and is partly brilliant-studded, partly enameled. The star is made of gilded silver, partly brilliant-studded, partly enameled, on needle, with two lateral fixing hooks.
The first five-class (Grand Cross, Commander of the 1st class, Commander, Officer and Knight) Order for general civilian services around Spain with an affiliated silver Merit Cross was signed with Royal decree Alfonso WIII. (1886-1941) of June 25th, 1926 (published in Gaceta de Madrid, No 177 of June 26th, 1926). The first statutes were enacted with Royal Decree No. 903/1927 of May 17th, 1927 (published in Gaceta de Madrid No. 137 of the same day). With royal circular order No. 494/1927 of May 23th 1927 (published in Gaceta de Madrid, No 177 of June 26th, 1926). The statutes were once again announced.
At a prevously unknown time between 1927 and 1931, the flames between the arms of the Order´s cross were replaced by brillint rays (2nd model). The Decree of the Ministry of State on July 24th, 1931 (published in Gaceta de Madrid, No. 208 of July 27th, 1931) abolished all Orders dependent on the Ministry of State (apart from the order of Isabella of the Catholic), including the Civil Order of Merit.
With the decree of November 7th 1942 (published in BOE No. 316 of November 11th, 1942), Francisco Franco y Bahamonde (1892-1975) restored the order, but instead of the previous King´s Crown, he replaced the open so-called Imperial Crown “of the Catholic Kings (3rd model). The new Order statutes were adopted by Decree of February 3rd 1942 (published on BOE No. 41 of February 11th, 1942) and amended by Decree of July 26th 1957 (published in BOE No. 205, of August 12th 1957) a collar was introduced.
After King Juan Carlos I reign (on November 22nd, 1975) the so-called “Imperial Crown) was replaced by the King´s Crown at an unknown time (4th model). Royal Decree No. 2396/1998 of November 6th 1998 (published in BOE No. 279 of November 21st 1998) was the subject of the administration of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and adopted the new statues.
The Set comes with sash and case, unfortunately the miniature is lacking.
Manufacturer: Cejalvo, Madrid
Hallmarks: Cejalvo, 925